Senior Quality Engineer
Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
At UL, we know why we come to work.:
Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
In this exciting role, you will perform a variety of local/regional-level quality management and assurance functions including development, implementation, support, and continuous improvement of ULâ€™s quality system.What youÃ¢ll learn & achieve::
Under minimal supervision, provides leadership for development and deployment of assigned business activities in the role of managing Quality functions. May also be responsible for local Quality support and accreditor contact at one or more sites and/or take on lead roles at the division or affiliate level. Drives operational process improvement through metrics, problem identification, root cause analysis and, developing and implementing corrective action plans. Provides leadership and takes ownership of driving continuous improvement and ensures successful design and implementation of the metrics, quality plans, statistical process controls or other quality tools, and/or leading internal audits. Performs other duties as needed to ensure successful implementation of the Management System.
- To support effective local and regional operational and business performance, takes leadership and ownership of driving continuous improvement and ensures successful design and implementation of the metrics, quality plans, process controls and tools, and/or internal audits with limited direction from Quality management.
- Develops, implements and maintains worldwide quality systems to meet and/or exceed the quality standard requirements (i.e., ISO 9001, Lean Sigma, etc). Ensures processes and procedures meet the full requirements of the quality standards as defined by ULâ€™s quality system. Also, performs corporate oversight reviews and evaluates compliance with the stated requirements.
- To fulfill departmental resource optimization and cross-training requirements, train and develop plans for staff improvement and mentors for staff qualification and requalification.
- Provides project management leadership, acting as primary interface with Conformity Assessment Services management, coordinating company-wide technical related initiatives and ensuring timely delivery of commitments.
- Works closely with global initiatives aimed at introducing and institutionalizing a comprehensive set of quality metrics necessary to enable the UL enterprise to objectively manage to its quality goals and improve processes worldwide.
- Analyses quality data to support improvement efforts. Facilitates root cause analysis and corrective action for quality related issues. Recommends and implements system improvements.
- Interfaces with management and department heads in a team effort to resolve issues at all levels of the organization. Communicates with all levels to ensure consistency and integrity of ULâ€™s quality systems.
- University degree (or equivalent) in Engineering or related technical field plus generally ten years of experience in engineering quality.
- Demonstrated proficiency in quality methodologies, statistical thinking, data systems, and statistical process control.
- Demonstrated detailed knowledge of quality systems and process improvement principles, tools and techniques including quality and business excellence models (e.g., ISO 9001, 17020 Assessor, 17025 Assessor, 17065 Assessor, Lean Sigma).
- Demonstrated strong technical capabilities in project management, interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, complex, and technical projects.
- Demonstrated analytical ability sufficient to evaluate potential causes or results of reported problems/issues and determine appropriate course of action.
- Ability to lead improvement teams to develop complex processes and process maps.
- Demonstrated strong experience and ability in Conformity Assessments. Involvement and experience with a European accreditor is required with RvA experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead internal quality audits, root cause analysis and plan/implement corrective action.
- Travel will be required to help with the development and implementation of quality systems and/or processes at other sites within the EMEA region.
- Mission: At UL, we know why we come to work. Shape the way we approach and deliver our solutions to have a meaningful contribution to society.
- People: Be part of our global team and do your best work! Teamwork, open-feedback and our diversity are our drivers to reach our common mission.
- Interesting work: The work that goes on inside UL is fueling the future. It challenges you to try fresh approaches, work autonomously, drive change and gain in-depth experience in your field.
- Grow & achieve: Growth and development are part of our DNA. Grow & achieve with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as your very own UL University.
- This is our normal: Competitive remuneration & benefits.
Working at UL is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit UL.com