Associate - Corporate Finance (Amsterdam)
Houlihan Lokey (NYSE:HLI) is a global investment bank with expertise in mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, financial restructuring, and valuation. The firm serves corporations, institutions, and governments worldwide with offices in the United States, Europe, the Middle East, and the Asia-Pacific region. Independent advice and intellectual rigor are hallmarks of the firm’s commitment to client success across its advisory services.
Houlihan Lokey is the No. 1 M&A advisor for the past six consecutive years in the U.S., the No. 1 global restructuring advisor for the past seven consecutive years, and the No. 1 global M&A fairness opinion advisor over the past 20 years, all based on number of transactions and according to data provided by Refinitiv.
The Houlihan Lokey Corporate Finance business has extensive expertise in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, activist shareholder and takeover defense, and other related advisory services for a broad range of clients. In addition, we have the proven ability to engineer and execute financing solutions that are essential for growth and success and offer access to financing in the public and alternative capital markets through the issuance of debt, equity, or hybrid securities.
As trusted advisors, our industry-specific investment banking groups provide us with a deep understanding of our client’s business and positioning before we are even engaged in a transaction. Combined with this market penetration is our international presence throughout Europe, the United States, and the Asia-Pacific region.
In Europe, we work with a wide spectrum of companies, from mid-market privately owned enterprises to large multinational organizations. With a growing European platform with over 175 Corporate Finance bankers in offices across Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Madrid, Milan, and Paris, our global reach and in-depth knowledge across a broad range of industries, we have the breadth and targeted expertise that lead to solid client service.
The Corporate Finance business in Amsterdam is looking to add an Associate to their team.
As an associate you will have the opportunity to work on transactions that provide exposure to various client industries and investment banking services. Furthermore, you will support new business development and investment banking engagements, working alongside a talented, dedicated staff of professionals who will give you broad exposure to the many different issues and concerns affecting businesses today.
The environment at Houlihan Lokey is collegial and entrepreneurial and, as such, rewards staff with substantial responsibility and interaction with senior-level professionals and clients.
Associates are typically members of deal teams comprising at least one managing director, vice president, associate and financial analyst, and are given substantial responsibility and encouraged to help us grow our business.
As an associate in the team you will:-
- Prepare and conduct client presentations: assisting in the preparation of pitch materials and information request lists to clients;
- Client management and managing day-to-day deal work: build relationships and maintain direct contact with clients, prospective clients and professional advisors;
- Conduct due diligence and participation in due diligence meetings/discussions, communicating with clients and responding to any questions regarding valuation analyses or any documentation prepared by Houlihan Lokey;
- Value companies and businesses: constructing and reviewing valuation and other financial analyses, including the guideline public companies, guideline precedent transactions, and discounted cash flow;
- Presenting valuation analyses and conclusions internally to review committees, externally to our clients’ senior management and boards of directors;
- Assisting in the preparation of fee proposals to clients, including scoping discussions, pitch materials, and internal engagement pricing committee memoranda;
- Reviewing client investment memoranda, board of directors presentations, specific debt and equity agreements, and financial models to develop an understanding of the company being analysed;
- Directing the efforts of junior bankers and checking their work product to ensure the delivery of an accurate and thorough work product within the required timeframe; and
- Coordinating with internal administrative support teams to prepare engagement invoices, working paper files, and other compliance/end-of-engagement close out procedures.
The ideal candidate thinks strategically, is motivated, detail oriented, creative, outgoing, and possesses strong quantitative skills. The following general qualifications are required:
- c. 3-4 years of prior experience in investment banking (M&A, Industry team, Leveraged Finance or Financial Restructuring or similar);
- Strong analytical abilities and excellent understanding of financial statements analysis with the ability to work through key assumptions, implicit caveats, and limitations;
- Fundamental understanding of financial valuation theory, methodologies, and applications;
- Strong knowledge of Excel modelling;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English & Dutch;
- Independent thinker and resourceful problem solver driven to succeed;
- Strong work ethic, organisational skills and ability to multitask is crucial; and
- Motivated and demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with all levels of staff in a rapidly changing, demanding, but ultimately rewarding environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.